Friday, November 20, 2015

TGIFF - I've been bitten...

Don't panic. I'm not rushing off to the ER for a tetanus shot nor do you need to start preparing garlic necklaces and sharpened stakes! I've been bitten by the mini mini bug!
This trend has been sweeping the blogosphere (and apparently Instagram-ville... though I'm not on that trend) for the past few weeks. And when I realized that my bloggy (and real life) pal, Anja, was hosting TGIFF this week, I needed a finish. FAST.

When I got to thinking about what to make, this pillow came to mind. It's one I made for our pillow swap with the Edmonton Modern Quilt Guild a while back. This could be easily made mini mini! And I do love me some selvages.
Instead of using my typical muslin or white Kona as a foundation, I opted to use strips of wash away stabilizer. That way, if it was too bulky when the selvages were stitched in place, I could submerge it in water and be done with the bulk. Incidentally, that didn't turn out to be necessary. ☺ I cut my strips 1 3/4 by 6½ inches, so I could trim them down.
Then to the selvages. I have a ridiculous number of teal selvages. Likely a result of a ridiculous number of teal fabrics in my stash.
And then I got so caught up in the fun that I didn't take another picture until I was quilting. Yikes. These mini minis really do come together fast! And match stick quilting is so much easier to commit to when you're only doing something 6 inches square!
To bind it, I used Yvonne @ Quilting JetGirl's fab selvage tutorial... easy peasy. It seems like the perfect way to finish this mini and saved me from even considering the madness that would be my usual double fold binding.
 This entire business just makes me happy. I think I might be hooked.
I've been working with these fabrics a lot lately... as you'll see in next Friday's big reveal. I love those little bees and their hexie hive!

And here it is with the quilt that inspired it, a little wallhanging that was meant to be a pillow at one point. It lives on my studio wall. The mini mini finishes up at 6 inches square... which is apparently a bit large for a mini mini. Oh well.
I am, of course, linking up with TGIFF @ Anja Quilts today, as well as with Finish Up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts. How about you? Have you jumped on the mini mini swap bandwagon? This one's up for swapping. Just let me know!

Psst... did you hear about the Birthday Bonus Club?
 There are still spots open, but they're going fast. Don't miss out!


J

16 comments:

  1. This is adorable! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YESSSSS! I knew you'd give in and make a mini mini eventually! Lol. I love it, it's very much you in a tiny quilted package. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three gorgeous selvage projects in one post! I love them Jenn! And 6" is the perfect mini! The selvage binding is so perfect too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how so much cuter everything looks in mini mini size - this is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cute! I keep saving the corners I trim off and make little HST....but havent done anything with the yet! Maybe you will inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute:)
    And I love the idea for the Birthday Club!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it!! Might need to borrow this idea. I haven't tried Yvonne's selvedge binding, but I think I need to give it a try. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made my one and only mini mini at six inches too. So it is a maxi mini mini. :) I did double fold binding.
    Aqua is such a marvellous colour.
    Hey! The pincushion photo bombed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the selvage binding, too. The mini minis are really fun to make and do come together so fast that they make super satisfying finishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute! Love the selvage binding!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm. That may be the size that gets me to actually do matchstick quilting! Both the pillow and the mini-mini are attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenn, it's adorable! Love all your selvedge work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such sweet selvages... They like being in the mini mini. How appropriate that you used them also for the binding. Really cute finish, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's cute. I haven't made any mini mini yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is teal your favorite color? I would have never guessed ;-)
    Your mini is beautiful!!!
    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html