Thursday, August 17, 2017

TGIFF - Strong

Welcome to TGIFF @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge! If you're new to the blog, I hope you'll take a few minutes to tour around and leave a comment or two. I read every one! If you're not so new to the blog, you might have noticed a wee blip last week where I was hosting TGIFF. Nope. I'll chalk it up to computer error! I just wanted to reassure you that you're not reading double!

Shockingly, I pulled off another finish for this week.... and not just a pile of pincushions. Something a little larger this go round!
Regular readers will know how strongly I feel about extra love being sewn in to handmade items. It's why, when the shit hits the fan, I tend to get sewing. I can't change the situation, but I can give someone a warm, soft place to curl up under or lay their head on. This week's finish? Well, it's to remind a friend of their strength. Pure, unadulterated strength. Strength that has gotten them through 100% of their crappiest days to date.

I had so little in the way of a plan for this pillow. I just started sewing low volume scraplings together. I mean, low volume works in everyone's decor, right? Once the scrap blobs got big enough, I cut them into 5 inch squares and slapped 'em on the design wall.
Once I was happy with the distribution, I sewed them up. The recipient had told me her favourite colour was red, so I did my best to get those wee red polka dot scraps well distributed.
Then on to the quilting. I know, I know. What is that hideous lavender doing there? I use cast off FQs as pillow innards. Don't judge me. And I know I've been FMQ spiraling a lot lately.... like on this pillow. But I like it. So there.
I know what you've been wondering since the beginning of this post. HOW DID SHE DO THOSE LETTERS? Heat and Bond Ultra, of course.
And my new little friend, a Cricut Explore Air 2 (which I purchased a mere two weeks before the hype for the Cricut Maker started. Let's not speak of it.)
I haven't made much so far. I'm sort of overwhelmed by the possibilities. But this seemed like a great place to start. I used the design software to write the work and spent three days choosing the right font. Okay, maybe it wasn't three days. But it was a long time!
 I got a little worried when I saw this... the frayed edge and the cutting blade didn't get along so well.
But my trusty dental pick got that letter off smoothly and I was able to trim and re-cut the small area that had gone cattywampus.
The letters came off the sticky mat with ease. Sometimes the Heat and Bond paper was left behind, but that was no big deal. I was taking it off anyway!
 And presto. Ironed in place.
 Those swirls look fab on that low volume scrappiness... if I do say so myself.
I wanted to get just a little more red into the pillow top, so I outlined the red Cotton+Steel XOXO letters with a heavy red stitch. Given enough time, I think I might have liked to hand stitch around it with perle cotton. Try to contain your shock. I also did three horizontal and three vertical lines of stitching... representing the recipients three kiddos.
Oddly, my stash is short on reds. Dena @ No Frickin Blog yet is horrified. Gasping for air even. But it's true. But red was needed here, so I used a chunk of a cute Lewis & Irene fox print that's been curled up in my stash for some time and a piece of Kona Cardinal for the other side of the envelope closure. With such a scrappy front, two fabrics on the back won't hurt anyone!

  And there it is. Strong. Hopefully it gives a little comfort and strength to it's new owner.
Now it's your turn. Link up those fabulous finishes here and don't forget to tour the other blogs and spread the comment love! Please include a link and/or button for Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday! so your visitors know what this TGIFF thing is all about!



Hope you'll come back soon! I've got more pincushions to show off and some back to school clothes in the works!

J

14 comments:

  1. Love the cushion, thank you for showing your process, I always love to see the process. I love freebies from scraps too, and making a cushion from tiny bits is just up my street, especially those low volume fabrics with the pop of red lettering, gorgeous. Wonderful finish, oh, and I use unloved fabric for cushion insides too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post, Jenn! The cushion came out magnificently and I'm sure the recipient was most appreciative. I enjoyed reading through your process. I love scrappy, low volume blocks and yours are so wonderful, they look like you very carefully planned each and every one. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great gift and hopefully awesome reminder for your friend. I am glad you were able to get the red you needed for the pillow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you stitch around the edges of the letters??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finish. Glad to see that you're using the new Cricut.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pillow. I like the contrasting red on the low volumes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely love it! The low volume and bright red is a winning combination and I love the swirly FMQ.😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous cushion.
    Dena and I are horrified that you are short of reds, but you did beautiful work anyway.
    I can understand how choosing the right typeface might take three days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous pillow! I'm sure your friend will be strengthened even more by this physical representation of your love and support. Such a meaningful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing how you got on with the Cricut. A friend of mine has a brother that does something similar but she was a bit disappointed with it so I am intrigued by the cricut for mad circular shapes I have in mind and can't seem to cut by hand!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html