Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Tutorial Tuesday - Rounded corners!




A while back I stumbled onto a pin on Pinterest that showed a rounded corner on a finished quilt. My mind was blown - why on earth had I never thought of that?!
Must be hard to do, since I've never see anyone do it outside of the blogosphere.

Nope! Here's my ten second tutorial on rounded corners!

1. The key to the entire process is bias cut binding. As I general rule, I use a straight cut binding because bias cut always seems like a waste of fabric. I have yet to perfect any of those fancy tips to make it. I just cut it on the 45 on my cutting mat. One day, I will master those handy tutorials out there.
2. Find a household object that gives you the curve you want on your corner. I used a very fancy plastic patioware plate ☺, but fine china would work just as well.












3. Mark your curve with the marking implement of your choice. I'm very in to Frixion pens right now. They're not designed for fabrics, but are an erasable pen. The heat of your iron with erase them... very handy!
4. Trim away the excess.
5. Sew the raw edge of the binding to the front of the quilt.
6. Fold over and sew the folded edge to the back of the quilt. Marvel at your quilting prowess.
And there you have it! 

The next time you get a-round (ha ha) to binding your quilt, why not give it a try?

J

7 comments:

  1. So great - and I like your new pages at the top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I just bought my first Frixion pen and really like how easy it makes marking up a quilt. I should probably get one or two more in different colours. I just checked out a couple of your older posts and really like your yellow/grey HST quilt and the wedding quilt for your cousin - both are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erica! I fear I've become addicted to HSTs. Stay tuned for another post on that theme!

      Delete
  3. I too love the new top of you blog. But please tell me why I am so drawn to that pink baby quilt. It is PINK for crying out loud!! Pink, pink you stink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting way to get a rounded edge. Thanks. Where to get the Frixion Pen?

    ReplyDelete
  5. just read this, I started doing rounded edges whenever I had to back a quilt with Minkee - I have 4 y/o triplet grandchildren so have made a lot of such quilts - currently making larger crib sized, hopefully my minkee days are numbered!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html