What, two finishes in as many weeks? I know, I know, the world's gone mad! But honestly, people, this one's been done for a long time. I've just been having some troubles getting it photographed! Thanks to a recent Sew Day my troubles were over! (Thanks for being my photo assistant, Ade!) This coming week-end, this kitschy deer is headed for it's new home with Young B. Unless he's taken to reading quilt blogs (doubtful. very doubtful), I don't think I'll ruin any surprises by posting a little early! **UPDATE** No spoiler alert was required for this post. Young B just picked up his quilt and loves it!
And here it is upright! And without Ade's charming puppy, Charlie, or rambunctious cats, Orangey and Penny, who all wanted in on the pics at some point!
For the backing, I was inspired to use up the brown strips that I had (overzealously) cut when preparing the pieces for the top. I opted to turn my recent obsession with endless strip quilts on its ear (okay, its side really...). I could get used to this whole strip quilt thing.
More original quilting on my part! Some suggested an all over free motion pattern, but I really liked how the diagonal quilting looked on the original quilt, so I went with it. I did narrow (my presser foot) and wide (about an inch and a half) spacing.
You can read all about this quilt's creation here, here, here, and here. It was my first choice in Chezzetcook Modern Quilts' Library Project QAL. One down, three to go!
The binding on this one is a wild geometric that I wasn't 100% sure of in the quilt top... but as the binding (i.e. in a very small dose), it works nicely!
I couldn't resist a shot of this deer lurking in the woods!
Nor could I resist a totally gratuitous, non-quilty shot of Ade's mini meadow in her backyard. Wish the non-grassy things in my lawn were this lovely!
I am so pleased to finally send this quilt on it's new home. That's when it's really finished for me!