Friday, March 24, 2017

Friday Finish - Rainbow Scrappy Happiness

Another wee Friday Finish! I've been working away at filling this basket with my own little rainbow!

DT are growing like weeds and one of their favourite things is to eat at the big table. And they love to mess with Mommy and Daddy's placemats. Time for their own!

Into the scrap bin I went. Sometimes I wonder why I bother buying more fabric. It seems like all I ever manage to use are scraps! 2½ inch squares are my go-to. For a simple bit of patchwork, a 25 patch seemed  right. I even worked in some fussy cuts... I think I might be addicted to fussy cutting. And there's no 12 step plan for that.
I added a 3 inch strip down the side to bring the placemats up to the size I wanted. 9½ by 12 inches is just right for little plates and little hands!

The quilting isn't fancy - diagonal straight lines. If I were to do it over again, I might consider spacing the stitching a little further apart. Once washed, things got very crinkly!
 The kiddos first colour requests were green for BT and purple for GT
On the second round, GT asked for pink. BT for blue. So much for raising them with attention to gender stereotyping!

Round 3 features an orange placemat that Anja @ Anja Quilts thinks is for her to use when she visits. I don't think GT will give it up that easily! I still owe BT a red mat. I've had to mooch some squares to make it happen. So little red in my stash. Dena @ No Frickin' Blog Yet would be horrified.

  BT's not exactly a wee lad. Here's hoping he doesn't outgrow these mats too soon!
I love having little things that I have sewn as part of our lives. I just don't get it when people say that handmade items are too good to use. If they're not used, all that extra love that's sewn in just languishes on a shelf.  Use it, wear it out. We'll make more!
This sunshine-y basket makes me want to make one in every possible colour! Or maybe I'll use my time a little more wisely and get to sewing those Easter projects I have in mind!
I'm linking up today with Finished or Not Friday @ Busy Hands Quilts, as well as TGIFF @ The Carpenter's Daughter Who Quilts. Pop on over and check out some inspirational finishes!

J

15 comments:

  1. They are awesome. I love the overhead photo of the twins. ♥ I'll work on GT to see if we can share the orange one. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! I always use what I make too. It just makes it more fun to make more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day, I'll make placemats. I love yours and your rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! I really like making placemats too. They are such a fun way to change things up in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your placemats are wonderful! I love being in a home that makes use of handmade. In my opinion, it makes a house a home! Cute pics in this delightful post! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are absolutely delightful! I just had some friends over for lunch and pulled out my quilted placemats this week. They were so scared to get hem dirty, but I pointed out all the yuck on the placemat I was using. It's amazing how quickly and easily they wash up. And if not, so what! As you could guess, I have plenty of fabric to make more should I desire. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute placemats and the perfect size. They will outgrow them but you will have scraps for more. I'm with you use what you make. You made it for a reason and that was to get used. The twins are growing so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your lovely colorful placemat collection. They all look great. My quilted items are meant to be used and abused and thrown in the wash. We can always create more.The twins are too cute.Thanks for linking up with TGIFF this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic way to enjoy beautiful fabric...while eating with your beautiful children!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are too cute! Perfect for little kiddos and I love the bright colors. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a happy array of stitched goodness to have on your table every day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are so happy! And you're right - use the handmade because we can make more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should have told me you needed some red, I could have brought you some red squares, maybe not 25 different one, but I could have found you 25 squares. If you still need them, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am sure GT will share with Anja if asked nicely.
    No red? I am horrified too! I can send some if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The photo of the twins is so sweet! The place mats look great. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html