Friday, July 04, 2014

Friday Finish - Go your own way...

 And it's done! My contribution to the MQG's Michael Miller Challenge! I call it Go Your Own Way (insert Fleetwood Mac soundtrack here). I've blogged about it already a few times (here, and here), but I've only shown sneaky peeks so far! The Challenge fabrics were from the Petal Pinwheels line. I added Kona White and a turquoise and grey print from the Mini Mikes line. 

This is my first quilt quilted with Aurifil. I used the oh-so exciting white and quilted triangles to make my wonky stitch n' flip triangles look a little more like classic flying geese.
I wasn't sure what the rules were for the quilt back (everything on the top had to be a Michael Miller print or a solid), so I headed back to my LQS to buy some more Mini Mikes. And not just because the selvage is super cute.
I didn't have much challenge fabric left in the end to do borders, so I combined it with more of the Kona White.
This is my second project using the challenge fabrics. The first one way pretty, but I didn't feel like it was my own creation (I used a pattern from Pillow Pop).  There's something about improv piecing that makes me feel like I'm really creating. And having the wonky geese going every which way just felt... like my own little something!


The Deets
Title: Go Your Own Way
Size: 35" by 38"
Quilting: Straight line triangles using Aurifil 50wt (white)
Binding: Michael Miller scraps and Kona White, Hand stitched with Gutterman (white)
Backing: Michael Miller Baby Boxes in Aqua
Favourite Part(s): That I tried a new technique (stitch n' flip triangles) and that it's my own little creation! 

I'm linking up today with Quokka Quilts for another TGIFF as well as Crazy Mom Quilts!

J

16 comments:

  1. Love your finish! This reminds me of a wonky flying geese block and I think it's great how you put it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt! I love the wonky flying geese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, Jenn. It looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun quilt...it looks so classy. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it Jenn!! What did you think of the Aurifil?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely take on some traditional blocks - very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fabrics on the crisp white background and the modern pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautifully done and just so original. The quilt name is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm visiting via Whoop Whoop. What a fresh looking quilt, great fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun design! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is totally fabulous and I have to say Fleetwood Mac popped into my head as soon as I saw the title of your blog post - too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your theme "go your own way". Simple idea, great result!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is lovely! the white is a great fresh backdrop to those fun geese.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This turned out so wonderful Jenn! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html