Wednesday, July 30, 2014

WIP Wednesday - The one with a decision... finally!

So, a couple weeks ago on my stop of Plum & June's New Blogger Blog Hop, I dropped a little bomb on my usual readers. Yup, you read it here first - I'm expecting twins! And yes, I'm planning to make them quilts. One of my non-quilty friends actually asked me if that was too much to take on, given how crappy I'd been feeling. Um... sure, I'll make quilts for every baby born to family and friends, but not my own little critters? Unlikely. ☺

There's something about wanting these quilts to be special, really special that paralyzed my decision making. I've pinned so many ideas, but plus quilts popped up again and again. Himself really liked this one, as did I. I was all ready to buy the pattern, but it's for a much larger version. So I got to measuring crib mattresses and devising the pattern. Yes, I know there is likely a more high tech way to to this, but there is something satisfying about graph paper and coloured pencils. I'm calling this pair the Plus Two Quilts!

So I started pulling fabric this week... some goodies from my splurge in Montréal along with some favs from my stash. The Martha Negley leaf print on top is a one I bought at Mardens in ridiculous quantities on my first visit and the bottom print is the remains of that SunPrint Text I bought for Toes in the Sand. A little Domino Dot, a little Pearl Bracelets... I really love this pile!

So that's the plan for Quilt A (for Aaby... as we call one of them at this point). The white areas of the pattern won't be white... one will be a Kona Honey Dew (as chosen by Himself over Spearmint) and the other Kona Aqua. They go really well with the paint chips for my studio (Behr's Refreshing Pool) and the nursery (Behr's Yellow Wax Pepper).
These two quilts aren't going to be identical... our critters aren't! ☺ The plan is for Quilt B (for Bbaby) to be mirror image of Quilt A, though the fabric will be placed randomly. It keep the prints in balance, I opted to cut for both quilts at once. I do love stacks of freshly cut fabric!
There was no way to put this one together without a design wall - a feature the new studio doesn't yet have. Grab the tape and the fuzzy backed tablecloth! This one was a doozy to get up there... I had to mark off each piece on my design plan as I went or risk getting confused as to what went where next! (Not to say that didn't happen a few times anyway...)
Mostly ready to start piecing... something went cattywampus in the top few rows, but I was too tired to figure it out. I'll tackle those rows when I get to them!
 The progress so far... 8 rows done, 13 to go. Well, on this one anyway!
It makes me so happy to have these underway! Gotta get 'em done before this baby bump gets me even further from the sewing machine!


Since it's Wednesday, I'm linking up again with Let's Bee Social and The Needle and Thread Network! Looking forward to seeing what everyone's been up to this week!

J


24 comments:

  1. Ha ha, now I know why you loved my color, you are just using the same ! About the baby bump, I dont recall myself. I remember the difficulty while driving the car but the sewing machine... I sure cannot see myself quilting a large quilt on my sewing machine at 8 months pregnant. Good luck for the twins. That was my worst fear when I was pregnant. My mom was a twin. But I had two boys, 2 years of difference, and people always ask if they are twins. So I keep up with the tradition, but more easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! There really is nothing like some graph paper and quilty math fun to get me excited about a project. Great colors and prints! And of course you are making these for your twins. Yay! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..I love those fabrics you chose! Those are going to be such darling quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabrics are gorgeous. These will be beautiful quilts. Best wishes for your pregnancy and especially for after the birth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fabulous take on the plus quilt!! I just finished one but the idea of putting negative space in - absolutely brilliant! The colors you chose are fabulous - these are going to be really adorable quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great quilts for your babies...lovely colours. Good luck with the pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you finally made a choice. And a great choice. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all the fabric choices. I am drawn to plus quilts too and can't wait to see these two finished. I like when different colors are used for the background.
    Congrats on the twins!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the quilt pattern! And the colours are beautiful! I can't wait to see this all finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing better than making a quilt for your own baby! (or babies, in your case). The pattern is perfect, as are the colors-so exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you just can't go wrong with plus quilts! Great choice, I know it was a hard one

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really like the colors and can't wait to see how they turn out. It must be so much different making them for your own kids rather than other people's.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oooh, those fabrics took my breath away. YUM MMMEEE
    Yellow is a favourite colour but aqua and chartreuse is a very close second! Luv this quilt and I (try to) work this way. Off kilter/cattywampus happens. lol congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've said it before, and I'll say it again (and again, and again) - you have such an amazing eye for color combinations. Your babies will love being snuggled up under these quilts. I am surprised, however, that there are no woodland creatures on any of the fabrics... miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are just perfect! It will be so exciting to wrap up your precious little ones in those beauties :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jenn, I am so happy for you! The quilts are already looking wonderful, can't wait to see the final result!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats and those are going to be beautiful quilts. Love the fabrics you have selected!

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Plus" quilts for additions to the famliy?? Seems perfect! :-) I could have made you a spreadsheet though, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks lime I stumbled onto your blog just in time to congratulate you on your new addifions...twins how exciting! I love you used the plus quilt design...beautiful fabric selection! I am looking forward to the reveal...both quilt and the twins ; )

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love that pile too! I love the colours of the fabric you have pulled out.
    That blue paint chip is the colour I have painted at least one room in every house I have owned.
    You still have a little more time for more creative 'bump names' than A and B. I have been told that my lovely stepdaugher was known as Igor before her birth. If they start kicking you, threaten them with something like that until they quiet down.

    ReplyDelete
  21. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so excited for you. I'm married to a twin and I find that exhausting, giving birth to them takes it to a completely different level. Your fabric and colour choices, as always, are completely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. First of all.... Congratulations Jenn!!! Your fabric choices for these twinning plus quilts is just gorgeous. And so are the Kona backgrounds. Both are going to be just perfect for your AB's!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your decision. I know it was a hard one. Plus quilts are perfect. Gorgeous colour palette.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html