Wednesday, July 23, 2014

WIP Wednesday - All over the road...

This week's WIP Wednesday is, well.... a little all over the road. I've been getting little bits of things done here and there. Right now, the main WIP is...
 ... moving my studio, which sort of explains why there haven't been amazing bouts of productivity. So. Much. Stuff. And I haven't even touched the closet of fabric yet.

This week-end, I finished quilting the top of J-Boy's Good Old Hockey Game. Instead of hand quilting the red lines by the face off circles, I used a heavy, doubled up stitch on my machine. And the binding's on and ready to be stitched on by hand this week. So close to being finished!
Next up, a little something for my guild, the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild. We're participating in our first ever show this fall, the Nova Scotia Fibre Arts Festival. Clearly, this occasion calls for a brand spanking new banner. We were each given pieces of Kona White, Pacific, Prussian, Aqua, Oasis, and Breakers.
I found this cool block, ET Phone Home, on Lily's Quilts, but it was 12 inches finished. So I shrunk the paper piecing templates by printing them at 50% scale. But, oh my, those smallest triangles are tiny!
Yup. There's 10 pieces on each of the small segments (11 on the large segments). That's 84 pieces total on a 6 inch finished block. Clearly, I'm not well. But it's just one block, so it's not that bad. I shudder at the idea of an entire quilt.
  Here's a little sneaky peak. You'll have to hang on for the full reveal another day!
I'm one of the lucky members who gets to make 2 blocks. Which is doubly lucky since I had to dip into my second piece of Aqua to finish the first block. For my second one, I'm going a little more improv with a block I made up myself. Here's the beginnings of it...
And I got my Rainbows & Coal HST quilt layered. I found this cool print from Michael Miller. It's got almost all the colours from top.
 And look at that selvage... yum!
I'd link up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced, only it's on vacation this week (and next week). So I'm trying something new, Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts, and I'm linking up with The Needle & Thread Network too!

J

18 comments:

  1. Your paper piecing looks great. And you are so close to finishing up the hockey game quilt. I'd say that's a lot of progress with all the moving and rearranging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that paper pieced block is insane- but stunning so far! I moved my studio earlier this spring and it was wonderful, but really did cut into my productivity for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Everything! Love the red quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! In awe of your paper piecing. Looks pretty fab from the sneak peek. :o)

    It seems to me, that you've managed a fair bit of sewing considering you're moving your studio. Scares me to think how much you'd get done otherwise! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, that is going to be so beautiful. I hear you on cleaning and moving...so much time, so much stuff, AH! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently spent some time doing a tiny makeover of my sewing space - just moving things to make it more user-friendly. I can't imagine the time it takes to do a full move! And you still managed to sew, so I think you're doing great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good. I can't wait to see them IRL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those tiny little triangles-omg I would go foolish piecing those!! You've done lots considering you are also moving your sewing room. Loving the peek of the rainbow quilt, looks great against the coal Kona.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore those tiny little triangles. Your piecing is remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that block but I cannot believe you shrank it down to 6 inches!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're making progress with the studio. It will come together. Can't wait to see the MMQG blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all those itty bitty pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for joining us at the Let's Bee Social, Jenn! Hope your sewing room move is going well... And that you will be planning a big reveal when you get everything set up in the new room. What a treasure of work you are showing off here! Love the sneak peeks of the Hockey quilt and that HST quilt, too. Great backing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. so much goodness in this post. And yet I am focused on the wall color of the new studio. I know I have seen it already, but I still love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving the little triangles! That block is going to be fantastic, such gorgeous colours!
    And the thick stitch red on the hockey quilt looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Even with moving your studio you got quite a lot done, and that banner block will be a stunner, can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That backing fabric is perfect for your top! Those triangles are teeny weeny ( but cute!).

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html