Wednesday, May 18, 2016

WIP Wednesday - Gettin' er done!

I've been keeping you in suspense, haven't it? Not much word on my progress on Technicolor Galaxy lately. But there's been a tonne in recent weeks! I did a pile of quilting at the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild Retreat - including these Flower Hexie blocks.

 Moons. Do those little circles look like craters to you? They're meant to!
 Easier to see the quilting from the back a lot of times!
 Orange Peels...
Next up, some wonky star blocks. I love working with the low volumes in this quilt. I'm already plotting my next low volume project. It's a doozy. More on that another day.

 I know Dena @ No Frickin' Blog Yet will recognize that Carolyn Friedlander print in the centre position.
Aren't they lovely? I considered altering the quilt layout to have different colours in the corner blocks, but these ones are just so cheerful.
Once the stars were complete, there was a tonne of improv style piecing of low volume strips and bits of various sizes to produce the rest of the corner block. Did I take any pictures of that process? Apparently not. And it took hours and hours. But the final result? Lovely. The bright blue corner has the most variation in value. But it works. I think.
I could show them all, but I'll keep it to two colours! After I finished these blocks, I had the very satisfying task of integrating all my Technicolor Galaxy colured fabric into my stash.
The only thing that I don't like about these corner star blocks is all the parts I had to piece and then cut off. I've tucked the trimmings away for a little something. Maybe a zipper pouch?
With the corner stars done and dusted, it was on to the last set of blocks - centre blocks. So many 2½ inch strips! I started to run out of places to put them on my small workspace.
Once the strips were pieced (staggering them with precision), the template was lined up with the seamlines and the excess trimmed away. It gave my such satisfaction to iron on this last template. There were SO many in this project!
Et voilà! One of eight blocks done. They're not fancy, but they don't need to be. This quilt has a LOT going on. 
My supply of low volume wasn't quite up to the task of finishing these blocks, so each one has a pieced strip (except, apparently, the one I pictured above... which I didn't know until I wrote this post!). I'm going to consider them a unique touch to make this BOM a little more my own.
And here we are! All the blocks are pieced! It's not the greatest pic, but it's getting hard to get far enough away to get it all in. It will be 60 by 60 inches and I have no early idea what I'm going to do with it.
The corners and centres are layered and ready to quilt. Yay! Once they're quilted, I will have completed 5 of my 6 goals in Q2 of Finish ALong 2016. Not too shabby, especially considering I have until the end of June. ☺

I'm linking up with The (Canadian) Needle and Thread Network, as well as with Let's Be Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts. Pop on over and see what others are working on this week!

J

33 comments:

  1. I just have to say that this is SO INCREDIBLY amazing! Really really cool. Almost tempted myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. I'm speechless. It is amazing. I would love lots of pictures of how you do it when you'll join all the quilted bits together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowwwww! That is an amazing quilt! So gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those corner blocks are such a perfect way to frame your version of this quilt. Congratulations on such wonderful progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is getting so exciting! You are making great progress and I love that low volume background. It really adds a beautiful element and depth - while enabling those luscious colours to pop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy that you have gotten to this point in the progress. It's been great following your progress. Almost there!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is just amazing! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  8. This project has had such great momentum...I've enjoyed seeing all your progress...all your hard work...all the details...but this last photo...damn.
    That's the money shot! I actually squealed when I saw all the blocks together on your design wall.
    A finish is so close now...bet you can taste it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! It is gorgeous! The colors, the low volume, all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fantastic! This is such a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love it! It looks stunning already and a finish is so near!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to see this up close when it's finished! Also, very interested to hear how you're going to join all of those QAYG pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  13. it's amazing -- WTG on your awesome progress

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is absolutely stunning! What an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love seeing this quilt grow. It is phenomenal. The low volume bits with the pops of color are just delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this quilt so much! Just curious, did you purchase the fabric kit or are you pulling from your stash as you go?

    ReplyDelete
  17. That last picture is a shocker, I said omg this is amazing. Have enjoyed all the posts along the way to this point and I'm sure when this is finished, it's going to be jaw dropping gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a beautiful quilt. Must have required a great deal of stamina and dedication quite apart from skill!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's one impressive piece of work! I've heard folks talking about it, but yours is the first I've seen. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow -- that is an amazing quilt! I agree that the last picture was a shocker -- my mouth literally dropped open. Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your Galaxy just amazes me Jenn - every aspect is a stunner! I'm very curious to see what comes next! Great work with your quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG it's amazing, I can't wait to see how you assemble the QAYG pieces...?

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is amazing! Great job (looks like lots of work!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. "Wow!" doesn't quite cut it so I used more colourful language (colourful seemed appropriate and I said them quietly, with low volume ;-)). I crack me up, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  25. And yes I recognized the orange Doe, Botanics and grey Crosshatch. Do I get a prize?? Cause having "No Frickin' Blog Yet" wins me no frickin' prizes. I am still laughing at the hilarity of my last post. I may be sleepy. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Unbelievable! It is absolutely gorgeous to see it on your design wall. Just beautiful! I hope you decide to keep this one for yourself. It is just incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! this is looking amazing! loved watching it come together and it's going to be so fun all stitched together.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The photo of your bright blue corner just gave me the quilty shivers...the out loud omg, I am so in love shivers. Well done, Jenn, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amazing! I love all the quilting you showed in this post, especially in the hexie flowers. And that picture of all the blocks together???? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's fabulous! What an amazing quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my, looks fab! Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is looking amazing!
    I am so out of the loop right now, but I have just read all of your posts and am now looking forward to the Glamp update.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html