Friday, May 13, 2016

Friday Finish - I Spy with My Little Eye!

 Squee! It's done! And just in time for DT's half birthday. They're 18 months old today. Time is flying!

And what better present than a quilt? True confession. It's a total coincidence that this was finished in time for their half-birthday.


156 fussy cut and Kona wonky framed Polaroid blocks. No repetition of fabrics, though there are more than a couple hedgehogs, foxes and owls... they are very popular!
I had a couple different plans for the binding. In the end, I didn't want to take away from the rainbow goodness of the top, so I opted for a matched binding. Fiddly? Yes. Worth it? Definitely! And it brings some rainbow to the back as well!
 Every time I look at this quilt, I see another fun block. I can't wait for DT to be able to name them all.
  More quilts loungin' on rocks. If only we both could have stayed all day.
  My quilts seem to want to go to the park lately. Or maybe it's me.
I'm almost as pleased with the back as I am with the front! I improv pieced the letters. On the back, you can see the simple quilting. Stitched in the ditch around each Kona frame with travel lines through the improv sections. This quilt is all about the colour and the Polaroids, so the quilting needed to be simple. Thanks to Val @ Purple Boots and Pigtails and Linda @ Scrapmaster for their quilting consult!
And the eye! I am so very, very happy. I printed a clip art eye and free pieced it. Yup. It was crazy. And it worked. (For the record, I did an extensive search for a paper piecing pattern first!)
 Who can resist a binding roll, even a sloppy one, with all that Kona rainbow goodness?
The Deets  
Title: I Spy Polaroid for DT
Size: ???
Fabric Used: Fussy cut prints and lots of Kona
Konas Used: Medium Grey, Tomato, Red, Rich Red, Cardinal, Persimmon, Carrot, Tangerine, Orange, Papaya, Sunflower, Buttercup, Canary, Sunny, Corn Yellow, Chartreuse, Kiwi, Parrot, Grasshopper, Lime, Cactus, Pacific, Peacock, Turquoise, Malibu, Niagara, Riviera, Regal, Amethyst, Purple, Magenta, Heliotrope, Tulip, Wisteria, Lilac
Quilting: Stitch in the ditch around each framed Polaroid blocks
Binding: Pieced Kona rainbow 

Backing: Predominately Kona Medium Grey with improv pieced letters and various sizes of Polaroid blocks
Favourite Part(s): Seeing DT pointing and naming the critters in the Polaroids (see below), swapping with my quilty pals to get lots of variety in those Polaroids, 

You can read more about the process of creating this quilt here, here, here, here, and here.

And here's what you've really been waiting for! They don't appear here often, but it seemed fitting. GT is fascinated with this particular deer. Days later, she keeps coming back to it.
 "Cah-cah" = car. One of BT's first words and a go-to in his vocabulary.
This quilt makes me so very happy. Working on it was a joy. Watching DT interact with it? More joy. Imagining the play for years to come? Boundless joy. What more can a mom ask for?

I'm linking up today with TGIFF @ Quokka Quilts, as well as Finish Up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts. Happy Friday the 13th!

J

P.S. This was one of my goals for Q2 of the 2016 Finish Along.

31 comments:

  1. Happy Friday the 13th to you and DT! This is a beautiful and exciting finish; I love that you matched the binding to the rainbow colors of the top. And get out of here... that eye is awesome! I just tried something similar and am going to end up putting it in the recycling bin and trying to make a paper pieced pattern instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely amazing!!!! What a great memory quilt. DT will be giving you lots of good memories. 🎗⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I am in love with this quilt! My daughter would have had endless hours of fun with it when she was their age. Eyespy combated many checkout line fits and was a great distraction. And thank you for sharing DT with us, they are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and quilt! Luv the colour rows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn this is the best Polaroid I Spy quilt! The rainbow of colors is incredible! Wow that Binding! That back is a great quilt all on it's own! I really love the rows with improv pieced blocks too!
    The pictures of GT playing with the quilt are priceless! Isn't amazing that she can spy out that particular deer?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It turned out absolutely spectacular! And what a treat to see your little ones enjoying it. 😊 I love what you did with the binding, I couldn't imagine it any other way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just fabulous! The matched binding was definitely the way to go. Looks like DT will be having lots of fun with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best I Spy Quilt ever!!!! Love it! And what a labor of love, front and back!
    Is this one of the most time consuming quilts you've ever made?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Total awesomeness, Jenn. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is EPIC. Amazing. It turned out so beyond awesome. I would love a tutorial on how you did that fussy binding!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable! I love the scrap blocks you put in there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So amazing, & yes, the best ISpy ever! The back is such a surprise! Absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE love love it! and it looks like it is getting good use too :) I agree with Heidi - the best ISpy quilt I've seen. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the fantastic rainbow front and the binding! The back is very creative. Your child is going to enjoy this quilt for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! This is such a fantastic finish.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's great to see this wonderful finish and of course, the twins. What a great creative quilt back as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a super fun quilt! The back is so creative, wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a happy, happy quilt! And the twins are adorably cute. Those curls!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, my goodness! What a wonderful quilt! It will be really difficult to top that!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Why my little one should not read my news feed anymore...she (and I) love this colourful quilt. She says I should make her one...as if it is done in 5min. So the pressure is on me.Jen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! The Quilt is really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It turned out amazing! I love the rainbow binding (though I'm pretty sure I'd never attempt it!) and that eye on the back is out of this world! What a great finish, and your twins are adorable too :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The quilt turned out great and the binding too! Also, I kept forgetting to mention that I love your new logo!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing quilt - such a clever idea to build the quilt with the polaroid theme. And the rainbow is gorgeous. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooh, those curls, so adorable. Congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing! Love the front and I was blown away by the backing! Just amazing! And the twins seem to love it too! Incredible quilt! Amazing job, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful and the quilt is amazing too. How did you have the time.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Brilliant! the back is fantastic and such a lovley thing for them to play with and the hours fun they will have!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's fabulous, i love it! The rainbow binding is perfect. Any idea what size the blocks are? I'm going to make a polaroid quilt for my collection of bunny fabrics and i'm wondering about size as i want a LOT of blocks - i have over 100 fabrics to use!

    ReplyDelete
  30. So pretty! Who wouldn't love rainbow and cute fussy cuts?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's fabulous!!! Congratulations on the finish and thank you for participating in the 2016FAL, on behalf of all the hosts!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html