Wednesday, February 26, 2014

WiP - Would Deer-ly love to finish this one...

True confessions time (again). I am in a deep post Olympic slump. The high of Canada's Double Double (that's gold in Men's and Women's Curling and Hockey) has faded. Everything seems a little less... sigh... well, Olympic. I've been consoling myself with quilting, but it's tough sledding.

My indecision caused a hold-up on the quilting of  Young B's Oh Deer.  I went for straight(ish) quilting on the diagonal. I like that one has to look a little for the deer and I opted to maintain that feeling.
And yes, that is Season 3 of Sherlock playing away in the background. At that juncture, Sherlock was "clue-ing for looks." Ever since Adrienne and I's movie viewing quilting days together, I can't break the habit. It's like pre-washing or chain-piecing. Just something I've always done! On to the binding!
 
In this pic, you can see that I varied the distance between my diagonal lines. I used my presser foot width for the narrow sections and that handy spacing gizmo for the larger ones (they're 1½ inches if you're taking notes). Now on to I'm hand-stitching the binding using my trusty Wonderclips.
Remember my recent Kona strip quilt obsession? It's baaaaackkk!
That's Camelia, Punch, and Pomegranate on the left. And Pearl Pink, Baby Pink, Peony, and Melon on the right - mark your colour cards! I had some leftovers from a Sew Sisters Kona of the Month collection as well as Miss C's baby quilt. And I might have purchased a little to round things out.It's almost enough to make me like pink, but never as much as Miss N from the Do-Bees! ☺
The contrasting "pops" I usually do are Kona White this time. They blend a little, but I think it's still good. In a break with tradition, I've decided to back this one with a print that's been hanging around in my stash for a dog's age. Time to use it or lose it!

I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced for WiP Wednesday  and the Canadian Needle and Thread Network. What else will I get up to today? For one, a haircut and new colour. After that, who knows what might happen!

J

Psst.... you still have time to pop over to this post and get your name in for my 2nd giveaway of all time! Only a few hours left!

18 comments:

  1. Ha ha I binge-watch netflix shows while sewing too! Love the colours of the kona solids quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like a varied spacing on diagonal lines. Yes, we are back to kinda boring (but COLD) winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I binge watch while I'm sewing- I always consider it a victory if i hit a good stopping point at the end of an episode... Can't wait to see the done deer! (I started the quilting on my boo davis skull this week!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. visitor from WIP - Will look forward to seeing your finished quilt! Played with some Kona and batiks for my post today on WIP too - did not do as good of a job with getting enough transition colors as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sewing and movies go together! There will be some Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love the colors on the kona quilt! The strips are a fantastic idea...might need to add this to my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay for you so close to a finish putting binding on!! The colors of your Kona strips are beautiful and i think your quilt is pretty awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the pink on the Kona quilt-and hooray for almost being done of the Deer quilt. Your fast-that's a big quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know how you feel about the Olympics! Love the colours in your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your quilting. How do you get the seam guide to stay still while you're quilting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tricky to explain, but the seam guide slides into a little hole just above the presser foot and there's a screw to hold it in place. I don't know if it's really called a seam guide and if I even use it properly, but it comes in handy when I want to space my straight line quilting. I can comfortably set it up to about an inch and three quarters.... it can't quite reach two inches.

      Delete
  11. Great colours and pattern - and I don't even like pink.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking forward to seeing your Deer quilt finished!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are probably all finished with the binding and your Oh Deer is finished by now. I bet it is amazing. I love that you did diagonal stitching. Perfect! I still want to make that for my father. The pink baby quilt is just the cutest. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to see that Deer all finished up! I definitely need to make one!
    And what a fantastic selection of pinks! Love that quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am inspired by the tonal strip quilt with the white pops. It makes me want to cut into my solids right now!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html