Wednesday, September 24, 2014

TLP - September "Killing two birds with one stone" Edition!

Alas, sewing has ground to a snail's pace around here... But there's nothing quite like a link-up/deadline to get one's butt in gear! Last Friday, September's link-up for the Library Project over at Chezzetcook Modern Quilts went live. 5 days late is better than not at all, right?

So, as I blogged about in the August Edition, for my last Library Project quilt, I've opted to make something just for me. It's destined to live in my newly relocated studio (some day I'll do a post on that, honest I will!). Though I've posted a little about this quilt, I will shamefacedly say that I have made nowhere near the progress of our fearless leader, Ms. Adrienne. Ack!
That said, the top is finished! I'm pleased with how precise my piecing turned out... those Kona Silver sections are ½ inch finished. Yikes! But then dear old Honey just hung out on the design wall for a while....
I admit it. I was afraid to trim it square. There's something about the step of trimming that is a "no going back" sort of thing. But today, in honour of getting my butt in gear for the link-up, I trimmed!
And I, and the quilt, survived! It's a little more rectangular than square, but I wanted to maintain the half triangles formed by trimming the sides.
Since it's trimmed, why not layer this bad boy in a desperate attempt to spur myself onward to quilting? Okay... done. I used a modified version of the Almighty Scrapmaster's Spray Basting Technique. She layers and sprays her quilts right on the design wall... which works for me since the floor seems to be long way down these days! I varied my technique a little... I didn't use a mask. Does it count if I opened the window and held my breath while spraying? ☺
I used Moda's Paris Flea Market print as my backing. Now the question - how to quilt this?! In Modern Patchwork, the author FMQed the finished project using a loop and line pattern. I'm pretty sure I want to FMQ, but want something a little more exciting, perhaps to emphasize the individual hexagon units. Suggestions welcome!

Obviously, I'm linking up with the September Edition of The Library Project. My goal is to have this one quilted and on the wall in time for the October Edition! Gotta have goals, y'all!And since it's Wednesday, I'm gonna jump all over the linking up bandwagon. WIP Wednesday @ Freshly Pieced and Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts, here I come!

J

25 comments:

  1. It's brilliant! Love the design and that's such a pretty backing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how this looks! Your color choices are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very cool quilt. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt top!. If I were quilting it (and were any good at FMQ) I might aim to try some triple line quilting echoing the large Hexies to make the really pop. And a large ghost hexie or two in that negative space. I'm looking forward to seeking what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post made me laugh! I can relate to the fear of that point of no return and the triumph in those skinny, skinny slices of Kona silver. (I recently made sashing that finished at a quarter of an inch. Yeah, I won't be doing that again anytime soon!) I love the aqua and teal and silver palette of your quilt top, but I think it's the hint of tangerine from the Botanics fabric that really makes it special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jenn I love this! Just awesome! Also, where did you get that print on the back. WANT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your honeycomb top is amazeballs. Those colours are right up my alley and you nailed those Kona Silver strips! Love the back too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those fresh blues ... I hope you get it finished in time :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trimming the top really helped the pattern to pop. Congratulations on such precision in your piecing with very narrow strips. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trimming really did make a big difference in how it looks!

    When I've spray basted I don't do the whole mask thing either. A few times I've not even opened the windows! I probably breathe in worse outside with car exhausts and what not anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Your quilt is beautiful! I really love that design. And I'm not a big fan of solids but this quilt is so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's fabulous! What a great design and I love the colours. Not sure about the quilting though, i'm rubbish at thinking up quilting patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Jenn! This is such a great finish.... And already on to the quilting?!! Love those hexagons. I have no suggestions for the quilting, but, whatever you decide, I am sure it will look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the design and the colours. Wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This quilt is everything I love about modern quilting. Just add the FMQ and it is more than perfect! All that silver is calling out to me to be pebbled and I can see what I would do with the hexies, but hard to explain. You will make it even more wonderful by the time you are finished with it.
    Thanks for the shout-out and glad you tried the wall basting..much easier on the knees and back.
    signed: the Almighty Scrapmaster lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's wonderful. Feel your pain about putting up the courage to trim but this is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The no-going-back aspect of trimming frightens me too. A stiff cup of tea and at least three checks are needed before I get the rotary cutter out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it! Can't wait to see it hanging on the wall. Now I want to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the cool colours in this. Could you do orange peels in the hexies? Or maybe a different FMQ in each...hmm. Just jump in and do it, don't be like me and dither for 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adore this quilt, especially your colour choices. I'm looking forward t seeing how you decide to quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I keep meaning to do this pattern as well. Very nice color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohhhh this is lovely! This quilt is on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! This looks fantastic! Beautiful colours and great idea for the slides in hexagons! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great version of this pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html