Wednesday, September 10, 2014

WIP Wednesday - It's selvage time!

It's been another week of late night sewing... no matter what I try, I don't seem to be able to fall asleep much before 3 am. Oh well... As I said last week, I'm a little stumped on how to quilt a few of my WIPs, and part of me just felt like playing a little this week, so I dug out the selvage bin...
And had a good look at my selvage inspiration board on Pinterest. I found this little lovely from the Berlin Quilter, but sadly there was no tutorial. I had to put my Q-D skills to work and come up with my own measurements. I opted to make each rectangular section 3½ by 9½ with the goal of an 18 inch finished pillow.
 There's something about working with selvages that turns me into a messy quilter...
Now that the top's done, I'm not so sure I want it to be a pillow. I don't have a suitable place for a pillow of this sort to live... but I do have a few empty spaces on the walls on my new studio. Hmmm.... 

While I was playing with my selvages, I came across a whack of Amy Butler selvages and decided to whip a new insert for my phone case. Himself bought me this lovely clear case for Christmas... I can fill it with whatever fabric I want (though I will admit that I've only had a couple different prints in there since Christmas).
I figured if I made a few inserts at a time, I might change it more often!

I'm linking up with WIP Wednesday @ Freshly Pieced as well as Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts.
Hope you had time for some sewing this week!

J

23 comments:

  1. LOVE the fabric phone case inserts! Might have to try that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been saving my selvages for nearly a year... I think I might finally have enough to make something. Certainly will feel good to use 'em up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many gorgeous selvedges - they will make a lovely project for they sure look delightful sewn together on your design wall. Nice way to enjoy your fabrics in a phone case too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your selvages are inspirational....I just started saving some, I guess it's time to start a new Pinterest board. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun selvage quilt. I've finally started collecting my own. Like you, I thought I might make a pillow but it won't go with anything here. So I'm still collecting. Thanks for sharing this clever quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful :) I love your fabric with the Keep Calm And Quilt On! Caught my eye right away :) I do use selvages myself. What size do you keep? Or do you always cut them before cutting your pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  7. visiting from WIP wednesday. Love love this. Don't stop at a cushion or pillow, this needs to be a whole quilt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those selvage blocks are delightful! They look fabulous up on the design wall. And those phone inserts are so cool! You're stylin'!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still haven't decided what I'm going to use my selvedges for. Can't wait to see what you finally decide. Love the new phone fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh, I hope the sleep issue clears up soon but but it surely is a lovely wall hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have all my selvedges calling my name now. Thanks a lot. Geez. It looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I never keep my selvages. I love the way they look, though! I think the clear phone case and pre-cut fabric inserts are great ideas, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the selvedge on a wall idea. that way you get to look at them always. Ah happy place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice!! I love the phone insert idea, will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love using selvages and this cell phone case is a great idea. I'll have to start looking for this clear case. Great idea! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are awake at 3 am?! And functioning?! And figuring out measurements and creating cool stuff?!
    This little head just packs in – never a shift worker's life for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the way those look - its going to make such a great wall hanging for your space. :) I've got to start saving mine!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ok, I need to get a clear case for my phone. Right now I have a lovely stack of fabrics on my lock screen but it's subtle--from a distance, it's just pretty colours, not "I'm a quilter!"

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been saving my selvedges for years for such a quilt. I absolutely love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So...have you decided to leave your lovely selvage creation the wall? It's gorgeous. Congrats on the new studio too. I found you on Let's Bee Social link up. Bee Social and stop by my blog any time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I scrolled back from today's quilting pics to see how these were pieced. I love the long rectangles. I make a huge mess when I play with selvages, too. My supply is piling up again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's wonderful what a little play can produce. I love the phone inserts, I've not seen anything like them The selvage piece is stunning and will look wonderful on your wall or on a pillow.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html