Not a lot of big finishes around here these days! This one is wee indeed, but I just had to share.
For fabric selection, I started with my grey & white low volumes... there are a lot of scraps in that bag! Then I decided a little pop of colour was needed and grabbed some teal and orange prints. I love that combo! I'm also proud to say that there are no repeats! (Just for you, Dena!)
When you can only fit one paperclip on your hexies to be basted, you know it's going to be tricky!
These hexies looked so good in my new bowl... I almost didn't piece them together!
It took a few evenings to get an EPP blob big enough for a pincushion. Not a big pincushion, but that's okay with me!
I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get those paper foundations out.
They're the first ones that I won't be re-using. Way too crumpled!
I quilted the living daylights out of it, passing through the mid point on the side of each hexie. (P.S. I tweaked this pic using this tutorial from Janice @ Color, Creating, and Quilting
I can hardly believe that I used a charm square to back the pincushion and that I had to trim this much off!
For the first time ever, I used crushed walnut shells to fill the pincushion. It gives it a lovely weight... especially when you put in as much as I did!
This backing fabric seemed fitting. I almost didn't swap this at last night's Maritime Modern Quilt Guild meeting. So tempting. But seeing the look on C's face when she unwrapped that last package and found this in it? Priceless!
When I got this lovely pincushion from Granny Maud's Girl a while back, I couldn't imagine making hexies that small. Apparently, I've worked my way up to it!
I'm linking up with TGIFF @ Quilting is More Fun than Housework
(I love that blog name... reminds me of what really matters!)
Teal and orange, just what it needed. Could you punch a hole in the center of the papers then pop them out like those plastic ones? (or would the hole eat up the whole hexie ...)ReplyDelete
What a cute little pincushion. I have been making my first mini pincushions lately too. I filled them 3/4 with lizard sand and the put a little cotton stuffing in to plump it up a bit. It worked out really well. Did you put your shells in their own little bag? Or just fill it right in? I ended up using a little muslin bag and found it worked quite well other than how long it took to fit the bag in the covering.ReplyDelete
It's awesome! Can't imagine making hexies that small.ReplyDelete
So sweet! And so very tiny :)ReplyDelete
Thanks for sharing with TGIFF!
It's so wee small and adorable, I love it! How small are those hexies? I can't imagine sewing that small, my fingers get clumsy. Lol. Also, love the door palette! 😊ReplyDelete
Very cute little project! Those hexies are really small! Love it! Wendy at firstname.lastname@example.orgReplyDelete
Way cute, Jenn.ReplyDelete
It's fun to see how much work goes into tiny little things :) cute one!ReplyDelete
Those we SO tiny. But perfection as usual. I love the fabric choices (shocking).ReplyDelete
I am so proud...no duplicates. :-) C's reaction was priceless! I love the fabric you use to back the quilted front, I have not seen it before.ReplyDelete
Just precious! Now that our quilt show is over, I hope to make some time to work on some small projects. XOReplyDelete
Sooo cute Jen! Inspires me to sew some little hexi's I have made into a pincushion too. :)ReplyDelete
Oh my goodness, it is so cute! I can see why it was hard to give away!ReplyDelete