Friday, April 10, 2015

Friday Finish - Happy Belated...

After seeing a couple of swanky yoga totes (one for a friend, one for my dad), my mom was getting a little green with yoga tote envy! I couldn't let that go on... it's just not very namaste. So I promised her one for her birthday... in December!
Remember those teeny, tiny HSTs from a post a while back? Well, here they are... no longer in the QPPP!
 Of course, I had to sneak some Kona in there... that Azure adds a little more pop as the lining.
The strap is a little narrower that called for in the pattern, but I like to bulk up the straps on totes/bags/purses, so they don't get all shlumpy with use. I opted to fold the strap fabric around a piece of cotton webbing and stitch the living daylights out of it to hold it all together.
For the body of the bag, I kept the quilting simple by following the wavy segments in the print. This was one of the first times I've quilted just the top and the batting (no backing). I'm usually worried that it's somehow going to gum things up... no issues at all!
The Deets
Title: Yoga Trio (from the February 2015 issue of Love Patchwork & Quilting)
Size: 32 by 7½ inches
Fabrics Used: London Fog by Camelot Design Studio (main fabric & cord channel), Scatter Squares Mini Mikes by Michael Miller (strap) & assorted coordinating scraps for HST strip   
Konas Used: Azure (lining)
Quilting: Organic wavy lines using Gutterman (Colour 20)   
Favourite Part(s): making a useful and beautiful present for my mom, printing a pattern from a digital download on my iPad (first time for that!)


Either it's three months late or 9 months early... either way, Mom is pretty happy with her swanky new tote! It's predecessor was all but tossed in a corner as she loaded this one with her mat and towel. It's a larger than usual tote, so there was plenty of room for extras in there.

I'm linking up today with Finish Up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts (so glad the Media free March has ended!) as well as TGIFF, hosted this week by the lovely Lorna @ Sew Fresh Quilts

J

19 comments:

  1. very namaste! great colours and yes to beefing up any straps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! Such great colors! I so love that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very soothing colors - perfect for yoga! i bet mom will be pretty happy with her own bag, even if it's a few months late. nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful fabric combinations here, and what a good way to use up some scraps - score! How awesome that your mom was so happy to receive it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. Your mom will be the belle of the yoga studio. I can hear the questions now - where did you get that beautiful bag and she will beam with pride when she tells them. Great job and wonderful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Swanky indeed! This is a sweet tote bag. Made with such lovely fabrics! The quilting is just right. Late or early, I'm sure your mom is pleased as can be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very creative and pretty! Another way to use orphan blocks - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Late....early
    puh-tay-toe...pah-tah-toe
    doesn't matter when your bag's this awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the fabrics you chose! And those HST are so cute, what a fun use for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This tote is so cool! Now there is going to be a lot of yoga tote envy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This tote is so cool! Now there is going to be a lot of yoga tote envy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a perfect colors for such project! I usually have a delay with gifts as well, do not worry :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to make such a practical gift! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's awesome! You must be a pro at making yoga bags now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now I've got green eye envy for your mum's yoga bag! Love that pop of blue inside :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html