Thursday, April 23, 2015

Throwback Thursday - Crayonz!

It's Thursday and DT are sleeping soundly! Time for another #TBT post!
Thankfully, this one was finished in the era of digital photography, so no new photoshoot was required. My backyard does NOT look this good at the moment! But never mind the yard, check out the jillions of crayons required to make that border!
I began this quilt in 2005 and finished it in 2011 at our first (and, to date, only) Q-Squared Retreat. It's a design by Australian textile artist, Jan Mullen (many thanks to Carla @ Granny Maud's Girl for identifying it for me!)
This was the first quilt that I FMQed on my current machine, a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0. I had been afraid to quilt it on my old machine because I loved the top so much and didn't want to mess it up! It was a tough go... those little crayons have a lot of seams. It was well before pressing seams open became the rage! I swirled my way around all those little crayons... it really makes them pop out from the black background.
Title: Crayonz
Pattern: Crayonz by Jan Mullen
Completed: July 2011
Size: 51 by 65 inches
Fabrics Used: All tone on tones... even the black background fabrics
Konas Used: just one.... there's a solid that looks rather like Kona Chartreuse
Quilting: FMQ swirls using Gutterman 10 (black)
Binding: Handstitched black (chosen to blend in, so as not to take away from the quilt top)

Backing: Black solid (likely Kona), constantly covered in batting threads!
Favourite Part(s): One of my first forays into improv cutting, if not improv piecing. It was so much fun to have all those wonky little crayons.

Come on, bloggy pals! Why not dig into that cupboard and pull out some pre-blog quilts that you're proud of! See you next Throwback Thursday!

7 comments:

  1. I really love the whimsy of this quilt Jen. Lots of colors and counting to do while cuddling:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this wonky little quilt! It pleases the improv quilter in me!
    Imagine this had you made it this year.... oh, the Kona Kandy one could tuck into all those implements of colouring.....
    I just might have to blog about a few of my pre-blog quilts...you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fabulous quilt! I can't believe how many crayons you pieced... did you piece them or are they paper pieced?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh...I forgot about retreat. That was an awesome weekend. Still love the crayons. You did an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt. Love all the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DT are gonna luv this quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a thought: might it be a Jan Mullen/Stargazey pattern? She lives up the road from me, loves putting zeds in the names of her patterns and also loves random, free-form shapes. It looks a bit like her style. I did a fun workshop with her a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html