Wednesday, April 15, 2015

WIP Wednesday - Gettin' 'er done...

It's the middle of April and not much has happened on my ALYOF goal for this month... until now!
Honestly, I hadn't even read Lesson #1 until this week. But now I have!
I even got down to the nitty gritty of unpacking that lovely box of treasures.... turns out I don't even need to buy muslin!
 I took all the prints and made a colour blob on my design wall... I just needed to look at it all.
  So much fabric-y goodness... and don't even get me started on the Konas!
Enough playing with fabric already... time to get to work. I had to choose fabrics for each segment of the colour wheel that makes up the centre medallion of the quilt. I was afraid that, where I had the kit, it would seem like colour by numbers. And I didn't want my quilt to look just like everyone else's.
Turns out, with all those fabric choices, it's not going to look exactly like anyone's! So much fun! Only 30 different fabrics in the medallion alone... yikes!
  
I learned a new trick... when you're playing with the value (light to dark) of your fabric and want to check if things are in balance, grab your phone and take a pic, then convert it to black and white. Can you spot the two fabrics I switched?
 All cut and ready to apply the freezer paper templates. Now that I've gotten started, I don't want to stop!
I guess I can officially say I've achieved my April goal. ☺ Don't worry. I'm not going that easy on myself!

In addition to getting started on Technicolor Galaxy, I whipped up some binding for Extra Love Sewn In. Don't you just love a pieced binding? Why don't I do this on everything? ☺
I'm linking up today with WIP Wednesday @ Freshly Pieced, as well as Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts. Click on over and get inspired!

J

20 comments:

  1. That function to switch to black and white is so useful, well done on meeting your goal for month especially when we're only half way through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - this looks like a lot of work. But totally worth it. I do like the black and white method. I think I know which ones you switched.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The black and white photo trick is a really great tool. I probably don't use it as much as I should and I am almost always inspired to make a more monochromatic quilt after I look at one of those photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Busy, busy!!
    You had a productive day! This quilt looks like it's going to be a super fun one to make...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Technicolor Galaxy is so fun! Can't wait to see your progress! I haven't done this month's lesson...very soon though! If you can believe it, it gets even more fun after the center block is done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad you got started on your Technicolor Galaxy as well. It is really fun to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so much planning...but so worth it! This pattern is so fun, I love seeing so many coming together so I can live vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the start of your Technicolor Galaxy! Looks like a fun one, but definitely one i'll enjoy from the sidelines ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you finally got to play with all the new fabrics. Can't wait to watch it unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your fabrics are going to look great in the Technicolor block! I am still working on my block 1, I still need to do the bias and quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Knowing how much you love your Konas and colour.... I am surprised you took this long to unpack that box. But now I see why. Colour explosion! Looks like you are having a lot of fun with this project. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a lovely rainbow! I have absolutely no idea how that medallion is going to go together, there's no way that's pieced .... is it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a brave woman! Can't wait to see the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW !!! This is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I cannot wait to see this finished! All the fabrics are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you have an iphone? How do you switch to black & white?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the method for iPhones, iPads, iWhatevers. ☺ When you open the camera app, there is a little icon in the lower righthand corner. It's three overlapping grey circles. Just tap it and it will give you a range of options to re-colour your image, before you even take the pic. I used the one marked Tonal. If you want to recolour a picture you've already taken, just open it in the Photos app, tap Edit at the top righthand side of the screen. The same grey circles icon will be visible at the bottom centre of the screen. Tap it and you'll have the same recolouring options.

      Delete
  17. You are still ahead of me! I have read the lesson though so thats a start! Love the B&W tip.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The colours look like so much fun. I swear playing with colour is a big part of the reason I love this hobby.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html