Wednesday, April 29, 2015

WIP Wednesday - ALYOF - April Finish!

What's this, you say? Is it a WIP or a Finish? What the heck is going on here?! Well, my April goal for ALYOF was to make a start on my Skill Builder BOM 2015 - Technicolor Galaxy (for those of you who are interested, I was #105 on the Goal Setting Party). I achieved my goal/finish by making a WIP. How's that for some fancy quilt-y footwork? ☺
This pic shows where I am at the moment. I've definitely gotten started. Yup, that's Matthew & Mary gazing longingly at each other in the foreground. Have I mentioned that I have a bit of a Downton Abbey addiction?

Anyway. At our MMQG Sew In on Saturday, I got busy on these star points. Only to discover that I had miscut 1/3 of the pattern pieced. Insert unbridled cussing here.
 
Home I went to get my stack of Konas to re-cut the pieces. Grrr. Thank goodness I only live 8 minutes drive from where we sew. I did lose my plum parking spot though. Oh well. This was my first time piecing on stabilizer instead of paper. I think I really like the idea of NOT tearing paper off at the end of a project! 
Yesterday I stopped procrastinating à la Val and her taxes and got to work on making the bias tape needed to finish my glue basted seams on the Colour Wheel. I always wuss out when I have to cut bias strips and do it the more complicated way that I understand well. Not this time! I followed the detailed instructions and did this origami folding of a FQ...  
Go figure... it worked! Though I have far more bias strips than I need. I hate wasting fabric. At least it's just Kona White and not some precious, long-hoarded print.
This really is a nifty tool... makes me wonder what other projects need some bias tape. Someone please help me... I need to lay down until this feeling passes.
 Thought about making this tiny bias tape:
1) When the directions say to buy a particular product, just buy it. Never trust yourself when you say "Oh... this isn't the same, but I think it'll work." Nope. Just don't.
2) I am grateful for my swanky new iron. But yikes! It is HOT!
3) I have crossed off my "Do something that scares you" for today... and I might count this process for a few days' worth.
Ah... rainbow-y goodness. It's been fun selecting just the right prints for the secondary star points. I've been using lots from the fabric kit, as well as dipping into my stash. Those FQs from Fridays Off Fabric are coming in handy, as is that monster pile of Cotton & Steel Basics that I impulse bought last summer.
I'm pretty pleased with the selections for this side...
But I'm struggling with this side. I'm just not sure about that purple point mid-photo. Is the outside purple too light? Commentary welcome! And the blues... I need to make use of that 31% off sale at my LQS that ends next Monday.
All in all, I'm pleased at how much I got done this month. I'm not caught up.. but I made progress. It's not a race and I am enjoying playing with my fabrics to get things just right. Remember this....
For all the challenges, there's a lot of joy in this mega-project. Just seeing it hanging out on my design wall makes me smile!

I'm linking up today with a veritable grocery list of linkys. First up, there's the April Finishes Party for ALYOF at Fibre of All Sorts. Then my usual Wednesday shenanigans: Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts and WIP Wednesday @ Freshly Pieced. If you're looking for guilt about not getting much sewing done inspiration, head on over to any of these linkys. So much to see!

J






19 comments:

  1. Incredible project! About those purples/blues...maybe they need to be brighter?? Especially the purple, I think. Just an impression...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the outer purple on the point is too light. Go with your gut... or another B&W photo check! Congratulations for meeting your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love this! It's going to be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Half off topic: I just love the second picture! #stillstruggelingwithmine
    This BOM is really fun, isn't it. I am happy for you and hope you can enjoy the progress. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you re watching Downtown, or just years behind? I love what your doing with the colour wheel. I've admired plenty, but not felt the need to make one myself just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visiting from Let's Bee Social. Your progress on the skill builder looks great! Hard decisions on the purple. I'm no help there - sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have an incredibly yummy selection of fabrics for this project! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many pretty fabrics! That top purple does seem off...maybe too light? Follow your gut, you'll find the right fabric! I can't wait to see how this project develops!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Smile- you should! Amazing. I'd never be able to keep things straight. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love seeing your progress on this! I just got a bias tape maker last week, makes me wonder what people do without them? It is nice having those specific tools to make life easier!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Downton... sigh. Oh, that's right, I'm supposed to be looking at your quilty progress, which is impressive. That folded FQ for bias is intriguing. I will need to check into that more (and the bias tape maker). I am finally learning to use grayscale to check my fabric choices for quilts. Maybe that would help you decide for the purples?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a great finish for April, good on ya! Now for some well intended criticism: 😉
    Not that I consider myself an authority on purple or anything....but dude, if you want purple don't use mauve. Get yourself some real purples! Those are too light when compared to the strength & intensity of all the other colour families. The only blue that troubles me is the one with all the white, my ADHD eye is attracted to it...it distracts me.
    Other than that I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a great finish for April, good on ya! Now for some well intended criticism: 😉
    Not that I consider myself an authority on purple or anything....but dude, if you want purple don't use mauve. Get yourself some real purples! Those are too light when compared to the strength & intensity of all the other colour families. The only blue that troubles me is the one with all the white, my ADHD eye is attracted to it...it distracts me.
    Other than that I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am impressed with your progress. Keep it up!!! I have to concur with Valerie. The light purple doesn't work for me, and the blue with mostly whites does stand out. See you at AF Saturday morning for the Kona sale?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you trying some new methods and using some new tools! I have often thought of buying one of those bias tape makers. Looks like everyone has you covered on the opinions concerning your colour wheel. That means I get to just be the nice guy and say.... Wow! It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks great!!! Sorry but I'm no help when it comes to colours. It all looks good to me. Valerie is probably on the right track. Switch your colour for Valerie's suggestion, stand back, look and decide.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jenn your rainbow goodness is looking great! You made me laugh a few times here, especially when you started wondering what else needed bias tape.
    What is the stabilizer product you spoke of? And it can be printed on just like paper? sign me up! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Waaaahhhhtt??!! I NEED to know more about the origami folding bias tape making method! :) I am clearly using the most tedious and hideously long method.
    You're right about the purple, try a darker center and then a different edging:) But the rest is gorgeous!! Isn't it fun to find just the right fabrics that you love and put them into these works? XX!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Are bias tape makers really that cool? Hmm. Maybe next time I have a discount docket or there is a sale on ...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html