Wednesday, April 22, 2015

WIP Wednesday - Still Building Skills!

A sunny day playing in the studio saw me making lots of progress on the centre medallion of Technicolor Galaxy... last week's WIP! I suspect you're going to be seeing it on Wednesdays a lot for the next year or so!
Yup... that's glue. All these pieces are glue basted in place. You use very thin lines of white school glue, then iron it to dry and set the glue. The muslim foundation is pinned over the freezer paper template of the entire block.



 And complete! I love watching all these pieces come together!
Since I'm waiting on some tools to arrive in order to make the bias tape, this hung out on the design wall for a few days. The more I looked at it, the more I realized that I had somehow slipped and added too much red.
A little re-work and I'm much happier. Hopefully I can cover up the glue that shows on one of the purple pieces. Once my ultra fine glue tips arrive, this problem shouldn't happen anymore!
This week-end's MMQG Sew In will have me finally getting down to business on the 12 star point blocks! Bring on the foundation piecing!

I'm linking up today with Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts, as well as WIP Wednesday @ Freshly Pieced.

J

17 comments:

  1. This is looking gorgeous! It was so tough for me to resist this skill-builder, and the only reason I did is because of my impending baby and the failure it spells for any year-long projects. My daughter just came over and exclaimed at how gorgeous this is, though, and said, "I want you to make that for ME!" LOL. That's my rainbow loving girl! Maybe I'll try it next year. Gorgeous progress, though, and good call about switching out some red!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good. I love bright colors - this will be a awesome quilt. micki@2dogsstudio.us

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful start. I think it is really interesting how different a project can look up close and then again when you have a moment (or a few days) to step back for a bigger perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will be fun to revisit this project on Wednesdays and watch it grow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so cool! Love the solid and print fabric mix you have going on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowzers! Carries a bit of impact, doesn't it?
    I loves it!
    So this bias tape you speak of... will it go on like a stained glass applique?
    By hand or machine? By hook or by crook?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing - love watching the process. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great!! Glad you got a start on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you're using the prints - really adds so much depth. I guess it was serendipitous that you had to wait for the bias tape makers - it helped you refine the piece. This is a stunning pattern, and all the ones I've seen so far I've LOVED, including this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! It looks great! So pretty! Can't wait to see this finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun to see the pieces coming together. Great subject for time lapse photography.

    ReplyDelete
  12. holy cow girl, those are some skills! Interested in the whole bias tape thing... how will that work? I will wait to see

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is going to be beautiful. Will enjoy your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  14. One word:WOW! Way above my skill set, but thank you for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. One word:WOW! Way above my skill set, but thank you for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html