Friday, April 24, 2015

Friday Finish - As traditional as I probably get...

With the remains of this year's Snowmageddon leaving us, DT and I can finally get out with the super stroller and tour the 'hood. It's been so sunny that the kiddos have been squinting.. a lot... and their cheeks look pinkish. Enter this week's project...
Some very retro/traditional babywear - bonnets! I used a pattern and tutorial from Purl Bee. It's very easy and quick... I finished off one of these during one day's naptimes. And I had another partially cut out!
I went for the last of my Valori Wells Wrenly Wildfield print. Only scraps remain. Even though it has a lot more pink than I normally go for, I do love it! Good thing I still have lots of the Christmas version left!
So many pins... but they were needed to keep that curve from puckering. I just don't think my trusty Wonder Clips were up to the job! Love those little snippets!
Instead of using a bias tape maker for the bonnet strings, I opted to cut 1½ inch strips, fold them in half, and then press the raw edges in toward the pressed fold. It's the same technique I'd use for making a strap for a bag. And it allows me to break out the Wonder Clips. How long will it be before I break down and buy a rainbow pack? Someone should start a pool...
Once I finished the first bonnet, I just kept on going. It looked a little large for GT, so I whipped up a 3-6 month version. The pattern comes in five sizes: 0-3, 3-6, 6-12, 12-18, 18-24 months. 
And then it was determined that this style could work for BT too. So I grabbed some Ann Kelle foxes and got to sewing again!
I can hardly wait to get them back out in the stroller! They pretty much win best dressed in the family on any given day anyway, but these will hopefully shield them from a little too much sun in the weeks to come!

I'm linking up today with TGIFF @ Things I Make, as well as Finish Up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts.

J

19 comments:

  1. Those bonnets are adorable! Hurrah for quick finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable!!! I hope you get to get out and show off those bonnets and of course....the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those foxy little heads together are adorable! They are conspiring about how to get out of the house I bet you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bonnets are adorable and I agree with Adrienne, they are making plans. Great finish and a fast one at that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such cute bonnets, and what a sweet picture of the twins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such adorable pictures Jenn. After I got through being distracted by glimpses of sweet little cheeks and hands and arms, I loved the bonnets you made! You will have the best dressed little cuties for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are SO adorable!!! Seriously!? I might need to try to make some of those for my little pumpkin when he arrives (I'm not sure my older two would wear them). Sooo sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those babies are so adorable! And your bonnets are cute too :) Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my goodness these are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great! I really love the fabric on the first one. Thanks for linking up with me for TGIFF this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The bonnets are stinking cute. I did break down and bought the rainbow pack of wonder clips when they were on Massdrop. I already have 50 of the red but just loved the multi colored ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What sweet bonnets and peaks of BT and GT! And I am so surprised you do not already have the rainbow clover clips!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are cute as a button! I have some rainbow wonder clips, they are gorgeous ... (enabler alert!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So stinkin' cute! What great fabrics you chose to rock those bonnets. Come on sunny days!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love these and your cute photos! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad BT got one too. They are so adorable!!! I thought you already bought rainbow ones....LOL...I think I want some too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the fabrics you used, especially the Valori Wells one. Yep, sometimes even wonder clips need to step aside and make way for the big guns – pins.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html