Friday, May 23, 2014

Friday Finish! - Houndstooth for Isaac!

Can I just say... I love a finish! And there haven't been so many of them lately, so I love this one even more!  It's Houndstooth for Isaac, the newest addition to our extended family.
That's Kona Steel and Kona White playing so nicely together in this top. You can read all about this quilt's early days in this post. Isaac's mama fell in love with this pattern, so it was meant to be. Most people though this quilt was a lot bigger than it is... it's just regular 'ole baby sized (42 by 60 inches-ish). Those solid blocks are just over 3 inches square!
Honestly, though I love a good batch of Kona solids, the thing that probably makes me smile most about this quilt is the backing! It's from Fox and the Houndstooth by Robert Kaufman. Can anyone resist a fox with a houndstooth bow-tie? Not I, to be sure. For the quilting, I went with my old standby - diagonal lines - in aqua. It just seemed to work with this straightforward quilt top.
There was a great deal of discussion on my last week's post about the two options for binding. I agree with all of you! The Kona Poppy was awesome, and if it had been staying at my house, you'd be seeing some different pics here! But the Kona Robin Egg is a favourite colour of Isaac's mama (it matches her KitchenAid mixer!), so it just seemed right for this one!
Psst... don't you just love that quilt label? I know, I know, I'm shameless. But that little tag resulted in my first hashtagged Instagram pic (#quarterinchfromtheedgequilts). If you'd like to see Baby Isaac smilin' away and lounging on his quilt, give it a shot! I'm not on Instagram (yet), but it made me smile nonetheless.

So happy to add another quilty to this special little family's collection!

J

P.S. Woot! I finally have a Friday Finish again - I'm linking up with Georgia Girl Quilts for TGIFF!

13 comments:

  1. That fox with the monacle- I die! What a great fabric for the back of an awesome quilt. I'm sure the poppy would have been totally awesome, but the robin's egg works very well too! Now I think I'm going to have to add a houndstooth quilt to my wish list. Thanks for linking up too TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh my I love this, and I think that backing is just too cute. I love the blue binding, it really frames the front, giving it a elegant look, but goes with the back as well. great job, I may just have to get some of that fox fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Love the blue binding now that I see the whole picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply perfection! OMGosh this is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great and the back is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this and it's a great modern Boy quilt...will file this away in my head.Great Finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Almost missed this post! Awesome finish Jenn! One of the nicest baby quilts I have seen lately. That backing fabric is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a stunningly beautiful quilt. I love your colour/fabric choices....again....I see a pattern here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome!! Love the Robin Egg blue for the binding, and it's so perfect with the dapper foxy back!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenn, this turned out gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html