Friday, January 29, 2016

Friday Finish - Another one in the bag!

Don't you love a well-written tutorial? Well, I do. Jeni Baker from In Color Order knocked it out of the park on this one.

DT are going traveling soon and needed somewhere to store their blocks. They LOVE blocks. This bag fits the bill perfectly.
Jeni Baker's tutorial for a very practical little drawstring bag was so good that I went back and bought the pattern. Eight more sizes of fun! I especially like the double drawstring closure system and the way she explains how to leave the openings. Easy to do and tidy when complete!
 Turns out that DTs blocks actually came with a bag...
But it's not as nice as this one! It's so nice that Anja @ Anja Quilts couldn't resist sewing up a pile of them herself!
This bag was my OMG goal for January. But once I had it finished, the goal seemed a little... well, small. Who knew it was going to come together so quickly? So off I went to my Christmas print stash stack. And I whipped up three more!
I love having some pre-fab presents set aside when Christmas rolls around. Ain't nobody got time for last minute sewing. So much stress.
I'm linking up today with TGIFF @ Busy Hands Quilts, as well as Finish Up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts. And let's not forget the monthly OMG It's Finished Party @ Red Letter Quilts. Now to get thinking about February's goal! 

J
 

22 comments:

  1. That tutorial has been on my to-do list forever! I love your versions and am already plotting my own. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I can see how these could be addicting, but useful too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this pattern, too! And I've definitely used it to round up my kids same Melissa + Doug blocks! I got so tired of stepping on them (worse than legos on the feet!), and made the kids promise to put them away if I made them a pretty bag. I still step on the little blocks too often, but at least it's big improvement in the cute department :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These bags do make great little gifts! I have made just a couple and they really are such fun! Perfect for blocks I should think :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You picked the greatest fabrics for you bags Jenn! And I can imagine you'll find dozens of uses for them too. They look fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look like a lot of fun to make! And they are so damn cute! Great way to use up some fabric scraps too! Nice job Jenn! I need one for my blocks too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks AMAZING. Love the colour choices. I love the Christmas ones too, though I would keep them to use for reusable wrapping. I'm trying to move towards a less wasteful Christmas and a few of these as wrapping might do just the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute - your fabrics are just wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Jeni's drawstring bag. I've made several and also purchased her pattern for different sizes although I've yet to make anything other than the original. I love the one you did for the blocks ... so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great bag to store blocks in. And aren't you the clever one, whipping up a few more bags (in plenty of time) for Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are just too darling! And I agree, your C+S bag beats the pants off the original bag for the blocks. :) I saw Anja had made some too. This might be my 'getting back to the sewing machine' project in the coming week or so. There's always a use for cute baggies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the head's up on the pattern. It's great!!! I may have fabric on my cutting table to make another one........

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your bags adorable. I love Jeni's pattern. I purchased the pattern so I could made some tiny bags too. The tiny bags are fun to make and just as adorable as the bigger bags. I have made many bags for Beads of Courage using Jeni's pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are perfect for just about anything! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree - your bag is a lot cuter than the bag that came with the blocks! I love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks like such a useful bag! Great for blocks or toy cars and such. Congrats on great finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on finishing your OMG goal. The bags are really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Neat! All of them looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great bags. I really like the one for the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Two years ago, I made a heap of bags like these for Christmas wrappings. Once you know how, you can fudge the measurements to any size. The golf club bag was the silliest!
    So you are responsible for Anja's new addiction?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html