Tuesday, January 19, 2016

S.O.S #1 - ViSiT your stash!

I'm sending out an S.O.S to my quilty comrades who are getting on board with The Year of The Stash. Nope, I'm not drowning in scraps and stacks of stash, I'm offering up some Stash Organization Suggestions!

Part of the reason quilters don't use their stash is that they've forgotten what treasures are in there. There's gold in them there hills! Okay. Maybe not actual gold. But potentially the perfect gold fabric to go with that Hanukah fabric. You know, if you have Hanukah fabric.
Wanna get organized? Well, here's my handy acronym for you - VST. Think ViSiT. Like visit your stash, not your LQS.

Visible
I like to be able to see my fabric. Yes, I know all about the deteriorating horrors of sunlight. The bulk of my stash lives in a closet, but the door is always open. (No, you can't come take some.) But my Konas live on open shelving. They make me happy to look at and I have good history of inventory turnover with Konas, so I don't worry so much about sun fade. The pros outweigh the cons for me.
Sorted
I sort by colour. But also by type. For example, I have folded stacks of the colours of the rainbow (except yellow & orange - they're one stack). But I also have a stack for Christmas prints, for batiks (yes, there are still some in my stash), as well as for neutrals. I have a large stack for fabrics destined to be backings. and Konas live apart from prints.

Tidy
Full disclosure: I used to have a sign rather like this one on the door of my childhood bedroom.
A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind. (with Garfield sitting at a messy office desk.) 
But honestly, how can you use your stash if it's a mess?! And if it's spread all over the house? Here's my system. I wash my fabric when I buy it (well, once I get home). And I wash it with clothes. And regular laundry soap. Yup, I'm a pre-washing rebel. It gets stored on the shelf of my ironing board until I can iron it... ASAP. It gets measured, folded, and added to the stacks. For Konas, they get labeled by name. More about my OCD labeling system in the S.O.S. #2!

So there you have it. ViSiT your stash today. Pull it all out of the boxes, bags, Rubbermaid totes and really look at it. You can do it. It's all part of the fun of...
If you've got an S.O.S. to share, give 'er. That means "Go ahead.. leave a comment!" for those of you not familiar with Nova Scotian vernacular!

J

P.S. I've linked up with Tips and Tutorials Tuesdays @ Late Night Quilter now that it's back up and running!


20 comments:

  1. Okay, well, I am like you - I like to see my stash. I have metal bins that I can see through. I sort by color, too. But then there's the problem of scraps - my biggest problem is what to do with my smallish bits of fabric that can still be used for a square or two, but not much more...it's such a dilemma. I think I just have to ramp up my charity quilt thing. Then I will have used more fabrics and I will have fewer scraps. I really am not a fan of scraps...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're not a fan of scraps, don't worry about keeping them. Stick 'em in big ziploc bags and when the bag's full, take them to a guild meeting or offer them to a quilty pal. Life's too short to work with fabric that drives one batty!

      Delete
  2. I wash, but just fold till I'm ready to use since it's going to need ironing again anyway. I have a similar method of sorting and like to see my stash, but I don't have enough open shelf space. My only (ha-ha)fault is not returning everything to the proper pile after I've auditioned/used it because I have to move a stepstool to do that. No excuse, I know.... Like ZQ, my scraps are the conundrum (that's southern for WTH).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep thinking it's time to revisit my stash and sort the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. I think that doing that every so often helps me hold on to fabric I will really use, move tiny bits into my scrap bin, and get me excited about using what I have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good suggestions. Guess it's time to bite the bullet and get to organizing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I needed this post for some motivation. My stash is contained in several plastic totes, but there is 0 organization. Just this morning I wanted to find a medium blue, but had to look at 3 different containers to find one. Maybe I need to do some color sorting?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much as I would love to see my stash, my tiny 'studio' (corridor with desk)does not allow it. I made a start on organising my stash last year as I went though all my crazy patchwork fabrics and colour organised them in clear shoe boxes, de-stashing to two new crazy patchworking friends at the same time. I hope to do the same with my patchwork cottons this year. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're making the best use of the space you've got!

      Delete
  7. This comes at a good time for me, I've just had some shelving and cupboards installed in my sewing room. I sort by colour, but starting to stash some collections together, like handcrafted by Alison Glass, and Carkai. Not sure whether to keep them together, or incorporate into the colour sections. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your question is a tricky one. As I general rule, I break up bundles and collections, unless I have a specific project that I intend to use them (together) for.

      Delete
  8. I hate organizing unless the bug bites me and then I can't be stopped! Bad thing is, the organizing bug only bites once or twice per year. I try to keep all my fabric folded on my shelf, but even that doesn't happen sometimes. I do feel like I'm a happier quilter when there's some order to my supplies though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Four main tubs: cool, neutral, warm and traditional. Bits pulled out for projects escape from this system and hide in other bags and boxes. Oh, and there is the drawer that has Liberty prints and linen.
    In the tubs, I have to use ribbons (the ones that come with Moda bundles and lengths of selvedge are handy) to tie colours together. For example, all the yellow is tied together with a ribbon and in the warm tub. If I need yellow, I grab the bundle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like to see my stash. Sometimes it's a bit messy but I can look and go through the piles to find what I'm looking for. Sometimes it's fabric for a project, sometimes it's just inspiration and sometimes it's a memory when I purchased the fabric. Mine is always out. It's not in direct sunlight but definitely not hiden in a tote. Well except for my FQs are in an under the bed tote where you can see all the different FQs in it. I also have nine scrap bins sorted by colour. I really need to make a scrap quilt or quilts soon since my bins are almost at capacity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I fold and wrap my longer pieces into a comic board card stock-and then put them onto a shelf-like mini bolts of fabric☺️

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always sharing pearls of wisdom, Jenn! I need to remind myself what's in my stash. It always surprises me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with you and sort like you do. I do cover my open shelves with a white fabric to keep down visual clutter but it slides to the side easily. We give 'er, also!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm slowing working on getting my stash organized. I live in an RV full-time so not everything is in one place. I have been buying some small clear tubs and working on getting fabric out of the non-clear big tubs and sorting as I'm in the mood. I also have a bag full of Christmas fabric and that will go in a tub by itself. Thank you for all your insight, it is what I needed to get me going.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a washer as well but I don't do it all right away. I don't label the Kona's but I'm wishing I had.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's what I really need to do is some labeling. I was just visiting my stash today. Sorting out stuff I think I will never use and donating it to my mom. She makes those pillow case dresses for girls overseas. And hasn't any pillow cases left or stuff to trim them with to make them pretty. It's not easy to part (with) m'stash. But thinking of how those fabrics will look made into dresses... It's worth it. Plus I will have a happy mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. To really get a dent in the stash that has stayed too long--I am planning a one day scrap retreat, where participants have to use my scraps. They can bring some of their own of course, but the purpose is to put a dent in my stash. This time will only be the non-batik fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html